Saturday, February 14, 2009

Blessing 61- Genesis 27:23

He did not recognize him, for his hands were hairy like those of his brother Esau; so he blessed him. (Genesis 27:23)

The verse above describes how Jacob deceived his father Isaac to get a blessing that was his brother Esau's.

Some people, even believer's manipulate others to get certain things done or for their own selfish gains. It's like telling half-truth. You know that what you are saying is not totally the truth, but say it in a way that fulfils your motives. Well, Jesus once said,
"....with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" (Matthew 7:2)

If that verse were taken in the matter of wrongs that we do, then Jacob really got back a good measure of deception when he reached Laban's house. 20 years of not so comfortable life. He landed in the house of a deceiver who changed his wages 10 times and Jacob himself gives his testimony to Laban in this manner:

"I have been with you for twenty years now. Your sheep and goats have not miscarried, nor have I eaten rams from your flocks.
I did not bring you animals torn by wild beasts; I bore the loss myself. And you demanded payment from me for whatever was stolen by day or night.
This was my situation: The heat consumed me in the daytime and the cold at night, and sleep fled from my eyes. It was like this for the twenty years I was in your household. I worked for you fourteen years for your two daughters and six years for your flocks, and you changed my wages ten times." (Genesis 31:38-41)

Jacob left a little bit out of his testimony. How he had deceived his father and brother!
Jacob- the deceiver went on to become Israel- one who prevails with God, but only after God had dealt with him. May the Lord help us all to be without guile all through our life and receive blessings without manipulating others.

No comments:

Post a Comment