Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Blessing 28- Matthew 5:6

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.


Righteousness basically means doing the right thing or acting in accord with divine law. Sometimes we know what the right thing is, yet we do wrong. Why? We all have different reasons. We all have different weaknesses and we all respond to situations in different ways. Often we try to justify our wrongs.

Paul the great apostle confessed, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? (Romans 7:15-24)

There’s always a fight going on inside us between the flesh and the spirit and unless we are totally yielded to the spirit of God, we often do that which is unpleasing to God. This can change only if we hunger and thirst for righteousness, desiring to do that which is pleasing to God. May the Lord help each one of us to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment