Sunday, February 15, 2009

Blessing 111- Genesis 46:29,30

Joseph had his chariot made ready and went to Goshen to meet his father Israel. As soon as Joseph appeared before him, he threw his arms around his father and wept for a long time. Israel said to Joseph, "Now I am ready to die, since I have seen for myself that you are still alive." (Genesis 46:29,30)

What a day it must have been for Jacob! Unbelievable, to say the least. The events that transpired must have confused him a lot as he travelled to Egypt to see his long lost son. But the voice of the Lord strengthened him.
"I am God, the God of your father," he said. "Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you into a great nation there. I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again. And Joseph's own hand will close your eyes." (Genesis 46:3,4)

How wonderful it is when the Lord comforts us and strengthens us with his words. Notable are the words: "I will go down to Egypt with you, and I will surely bring you back again."

Jacob, now old and tired of all that he had faced in his life needed God's affirmation of his presence with him and that is exactly what God did.

In verse 30 above, we read Jacob telling Joseph: "Now I am ready to die, since I have seen for myself that you are still alive."

The Bible says,
Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. (Proverbs 13:12)

That's exactly what Jacob had experienced in his life. Now he was content after a long, long wait.
Are you waiting for something to happen? Something that you greatly desire, but not yet received? Take heart. The Lord will fulfill your desire as he fulfilled Jacob's. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment